Sunday, October 18, 2020

Created in His image....

 

The incident took less than 15 seconds from start to finish….

I took a long ride this Saturday, a loop through Downtown.  I rode from the house, east on 90, over to Tharpe St. and all the way to Monroe.  From there I planned to ride south on Monroe to Gaines, west to the stadium, and back out 20 to the house.  I tried to ride every day during the long spring and summer while I and many of my fellow teachers were stuck at home, and except for a few days here and there, and those days it rained, I accomplished that goal.  I was actually able to gradually work myself up week by week a mile at a time to a point where a 20+ mile ride is very do-able. 

For you veteran riders out there please understand, the last time I was on a bike I was dealing with long term chronic pain and ended my last ride a year and a half ago on the side of the road, after only 5 miles, in such severe pain that I was vomiting.  So now, when I’m on my bike riding again, I feel pretty good about myself.  I feel accomplished again.  With school back in play again I get to ride once or twice a week so I try to make it a good one when I get the chance to get out for a ride.  One of the things I like to do as I ride is to call out greetings to the people I pass along the way.  It makes me feel good when I get a smile or a wave back in reply.  It’s good to share a smile with a stranger.

So there I was about halfway through the ride coming into downtown Tallahassee.  I was getting stopped by lights and contending with traffic and distracted drivers, but having a great ride.  Up ahead, in front of the Chain of Parks, I caught site of protestors…  “This should be good,” I thought as I rode closer.  As I got closer I noticed that there was more than “a” protest going on, there were what look like from a distance a chain of protests, each with their own little cluster of people and signs.  Nothing in particular stood out to me as I passed by the line of sign-bearers… until I notice him.

He stood with his own group of fellow protestors, I won’t mention their name because it really isn’t any more or less important than the name of any of the other groups out that morning.  His skin glowed with the kind of ghostly hue of one who might be venturing out into the daylight for the first time, on purpose, in months.  He had a softness that hung about him which spoke of a life totally unfamiliar with the concept of hard work.  In his hands was a sign with the words, “WE ARE RELENTLESS,” written out in uneven block letters.  (I admit that I spell-checked it as I took in the scene.)  I started to giggle… “Relentless about getting to the fridge.”  At first it was a private snigger, but then I began to giggle out loud, shaking my head and smiling from ear to ear at the sight of this clueless little marshmallow with the sign.  As I passed the protestors I called out a few greetings and salutations and I made a point of making eye-contact with Mr. Relentless and giggled through a hearty, “have a GREAT day,” as I went past him.  “What a maroon,” my inner Bugs Bunny said…

Again, the whole thing lasted 10 or 15 seconds, an almost insignificant amount of time.  As I rode on, my giddiness changed to shame as I remembered the he too was created in God’s image.

No comments:

Post a Comment