Thursday, December 30, 2010

Daily Driver

I wrote this piece last year between Christmas and New Year for my chapter's newsletter.  I am a member of CMA, the Christian Motorcyclists' Association, and often find myself talking with others about our bikes on the way to talking to them about Jesus. I thought this was appropriate for the time of the year.


Dec. 24, 2009

Daily Driver

I don’t know about the rest of you, but I’m a “Daily Rider.”  Yep, I drive my bike every day.  Heck, I even got rid of my truck a couple of years ago just so I wouldn’t have any excuse to not be a “Daily Rider.” Yep, we’re a ONE-car family and my wife drives it. I really find it quite unbelievable how someone would choose to drive something other than his or her motorcycle.  I mean, really, the experience and exhilaration of a 2-wheeled steed, or the daily commute in a mini-van; the choice is a no-brainer.  Yes sir, I am a sold out for freedom on two wheels “Daily Rider.”

There was that other day though when I took the van. Well, I was sick, sniffly really.  And anyway I have asthma, and colds always settle in my chest, and that could be dangerous, so for health reasons only, I took the van.  Yep, being an every day rider is a badge of honor really.  There was that day last week when I took the car, (my son’s car actually, I forgot to mention that one earlier), because it was the last day of school before Christmas break.  The kids always bring in gifts for their teachers.  It would have been unsafe to try to pack all those gifts on the bike, so for safety reasons only, I took the car.  Now, don’t get the wrong idea, I ride my bike every day. But not two Tuesdays ago, it was like 30 degrees and foggy out side.  My wife was so on my back about taking the van because it was not safe to ride in to work that day.  She would not let up; she was relentless.  I had all my bad weather gear all laid out and I was ready to go, but to show my wife that I valued her opinion I took the van.  But every other day I am out there on my bike, feeling the wind across my face.

Excuses really ruin a person’s credibility don’t they?  It’s so important to do what you say and say what you do.  Jesus kept it very simple.  He said, “I am the way the truth and the light.”  He didn’t complicate things or make contingency plans. In Matthew 5, He taught His disciples many things of importance, but one little thing stands out as a standard for our relationships with others.  He said, “Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one.”  I am always surprised by the simplicity of Jesus’ teachings, and at the same time their complexity.  The simplicity comes from Him; the complexity is our contribution to the recipe.

The guy in our story, (me, and maybe someone else you know), is making a complete muddle of the freedom that we have at our disposal for reaching others with the gospel.  What other tool have we been given that is better at opening up conversational opportunities with complete strangers?  I can hardly get gas without it turning into a 15-minute stop because an opportunity to talk to a new friend presents itself.  That’s why He chose us, and that’s why He put us here; to talk to others about motorcycles, about funny stories, about Him, and about what He did to change our life.  What could be simpler?  You, The Spirit, a motorcycle, and a complete stranger; it’s God’s recipe for a Divine appointment.

So here it is, another New Year, another clean slate, another 365 opportunities to advance His kingdom by getting on our bike and being open and obedient to meet whoever and do whatever He places in our path.  It’s not at all complicated if we follow the directions He gives us.  Who knows what might be going on in the life of that guy behind you in line at the burger shop?  No one can say what your 30-second investment of time will have in the life of that sixteen-year-old girl at the next gas pump.  You could be part of Jesus’ plan to plant a seed of faith or reap a harvest planted long ago by some other faithful servant.  It takes one thing from you, consistent obedience.  So, TODAY, let’s decide to ride for God.  As you put your riding gear on today, imagine that it is the Full Armor of our Lord, protecting us as we go on our way and aiding us in being God’s salt and light to the world. 

Peace and Joy,

Sal

No comments:

Post a Comment